Monday, August 23, 2010

Promises & Vows

I thought I would share both our promises and our vows from the wedding. We wanted a good mix of a down to earth yet reverent words at our ceremony. My sister, who officiated our wedding guided us to do personal promises and very reverent vows....and that's just what we did.
Promises
The promises were very personal to the two of us. Lots of inside jokes about one another, they helped us laugh and remember why we love each other!
Groom:
I promise to love you as much as the Fighting Irish, and not to hold your obsession with the Ms. Arkansas Pageant against you. From this day forward, I will listen to all of your gossip from Facebook, as long as it doesn’t interrupt a broadcast of a Reds game. I will love you in sickness and health, through thick and thin, or until you openly cheer for the Razorbacks at an Irish tailgate party.

Bride:
I promise to love you as much as I love our dog, Lucy, and to not hold your over-indulgence with sports against you. I will make sure that I only buy clothes that I need, that are cute, or that say Cincinnati Reds on them. I will always have your lucky shirts washed, but never folded. I will love you in good times and bad—like when the Irish go 6-6—and in sickness and in health, or until we move to the great white north without a winter car or a winter dog.

Vows

We quoted Ruth 1 16-17. I have always loved this passage. I think is is very to the point and very blunt. I think vows are a time for bluntness and no "beating around the bush."

"Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

We were so pleased with both the promises and the vows. I know we will treasure them both forever!

These pictures are from Facebook, not our photographer!


3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Ruth passage...always been my fav. My mom and dad used those words too, someday maybe...I'll use them. Oh, and I would expect nothing less from the two of you on the Promises, I love the personal touch. I can only imagine how much fun that was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute and unique! I love it and the beautiful pictures!!

    Thanks for sharing that blog site with me. That was very thoughtful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete